20090720

Pathology




LIKELY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE STUDY PROCESS- BE PREPARED!!!


Goljan Rapid Review Pathology
  • "Most important book- along with his audio of course- I spiral bound mine at a kinkos so it was easier to handle."
  • "If you have the old edition, strongly consider upgrading. There are tons of color images and clinical correlations. I love the way Goljan integrates concepts."
  • "The new edition is better- more pictures and graphs. Just finished heme and that chapter saved me for my exam!"
  • “The audio is really good at explaining stuff, especially good were the lectures in cardio and general inflammation. The pathology book is good too, but does not hit you with the quick facts like brs does - instead goes for a broader big picture approach.”
  • "I've read through BRS Pathology many times, but I decided to give RR Pathology a try after hearing all the praise. I went through half of it so far and frankly I don't like it. I find it very difficult to read mainly because of its poor structure."
  • "If you did well in path - this is a good book - it gives quick reminders of everything you already know and pounds it into your brain, [but] if you need something with paragraphs, this is not the book. It is essentially a book of really good concise notes on everything in path."

    Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology
    • “Used part of it earlier in the school year. Very challenging questions. Lymphoma & micro chapter are next to impossible. “
    • “Robins review of path, idiopathic got me hooked on this one, after doing this twice all other path questions seem easy by comparison.”
    • "This is the best question book for both path and Step I. There's a decent mix of questions based on long clinical vignettes along with shorter ones, much like Step I. Due to Step I's emphasis on pathology, I think this resource is almost just as valuable as the vaunted Kaplan Q bank (which is an inferior source for path questions but good on other subjects)."

    BRS Pathology
    • “Don’t use this book (except for questions) - I started using this but quit really quickly, the text is essentially all covered in First Aid.”
    • "I brought this one to the gym & read it on the elliptical alot.  It isn't too bulky and it has bigger text..haha! Well, it worked for me anyhow."
    • “Used it during the school year but ditched it in favor of goljan's rapid review during boards studying.”
    • “ Another heaven-sent tool for med students. An imposing book, but again try to memorize all of it, as almost all will be fair game on the USMLE. Best to use early during the year.”
    • “For 99% of medical students, this book is essential. BRS Pathology provides a framework that will help you better understand course lectures and materials. It helps provide the "big picture" as a great deal of path is condensed into a few pages a section, with the most important (and board relevant) details.”
    • “I guess after reading Micro Made Rediculously Simple, my expectations for a review book are too high. This is just an outline w/ definitions, blah. There are very few images, and nothing to help you remember any of it. Also, I found it to be very incomplete when it came to the material covered by my pathology course.”
    • “Use it at the beginning of your prep; otherwise Goljan and kaplan are better.”